AL KHUZAIRIE ALI I PROFILE I STATEMENT I MEDIA I RESIDENCY

STATEMENT



I’m very interested in assembly. I play the quotations of scene, icons, film, game or even the portrayal of my personal interpretation of the life surrounding. I pay very close attention to the strong current in science and technology flowing inexorably toward an emulation of natural systems. Over the years I’ve been watching the advances in molecular engineering and biotechnology with giddy anticipation and also with a faint ping of trepidation. I love the sciences and science fiction, and both disciplines often stress the importance of considering the ramifications of implementing new technologies. These interests figure greatly into my sculpture.

In my works I have explored the portrayal of human body to show how the modern science and technology have controlled and dominated our perception on human body. The emergence of ‘body building’, ‘body piercing’, ‘body transplantation’, ‘cloning’ and so on, seemingly shows a culture that indicates a significant change in the notion of human body nowadays. I even think there is a similarity between ‘body’ and ‘machine’. Here, modern human is like an assembly of organ that can be inter-changeably constructed or reconstructed, just like machine spare part.